Mission and Vision Statement
Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College is a comprehensive community college located in a rural environment. The College strives to fulfill current and future higher educational and vocational/technical needs of southern West Virginia, its service area and beyond. Our College emphasizes student-oriented, transferable learning, enabling students to achieve work, career and personal success.
Our College provides high-quality, affordable, student-friendly, and easily accessible educational services. We are highly effective and flexible in responding to state and community demands, and adapting to a global socio-economic system.
- To provide programs of study which can be effectively transferred to other institutions and applied toward the completion of a baccalaureate degree.
- To provide programs of study which prepare and/or upgrade students' skills in the occupation of their choice, especially those occupations which help meet the needs of the College's service district.
- To provide students with the services necessary to assist them in successfully realizing their educational plans.
- To provide developmental courses for students who enter through the "open door" admissions policy and who lack the necessary academic background.
- To provide continuing education opportunities for individuals in the service district who are interested in personal, cultural, or occupational improvement.
- To provide workforce training and retraining as a mechanism for economic development through partnerships with business, industry, labor, education, civic clubs and organizations, community leaders and government.
- To provide activities which are culturally enriching and entertaining for the entire district, as well as those enrolled at Southern.