Board of Governors August 20 Meeting Highlights
The Board of Governors met Tuesday, August 20 in Building C, Room 428 at Southern's Logan Campus. The full meeting agenda is available on the board’s website.
Meeting highlights include:
- Welcome to new board member Mary Nemeth-Pyles who succeeds George Morrison as faculty representative to the Board.
- A presentation by Dr. Gail Hall about the results of a regional Needs Assessment conducted by the Department of Business at the end of June 2013. Survey responses were too low for the Board to make a decision. They will move toward a decision by January 2014.
- President Tomblin received the final team report for the comprehensive visit by the Higher Learning Commission to Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College. The President has two weeks to file the Institutional Response Form along with any additional written comments. The evaluation was excellent and President Tomblin plans to share the results with employees during All Governance Day on September 13.
- President's Report:
- Severance announcement was sent out to employees in June. October 1 is the deadline for submitting requests for severance.
- Rosa Lea McNeal took early retirement effective August 8, 2013.
- Glenna Hatfield retired effective August 12, 2013.
- By mutual agreement, Dr. Cindy McCoy has been reassigned. She continues to serve as Dean of the University Transfer Division on special assignment for the President, and her last day with Southern will be December 31, 2013.
- Higher Education to receive an addition 7.5% budget reduction in 2014; mid-year budget cuts are possible; the Board will review budget situation in October 2013.
- President plans to reinstate her high school visiting tour beginning Fall 2013.
- The Search Committee for the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Student Services are sorting through applicants. They received a good pool of qualified candidates.
- Received report from consultant, Kathy Swanson, who conducted focus group meetings with business and industry leaders in the region to assist the College in determining what programs may be feasible at the new Applied Technology Center in Williamson. It appears there is a need for training and certifications. Administrators are looking at program offerings. They are considering Mechatronics, Advanced Welding, Massage Therapy, Medical Assisting/Electronic Records, etc.
- Hopes to be able to expand the Nursing program to the Boone Campus.
- Pam Alderman is working on a grant for a Massage Therapy program at Williamson and to expand the Medical Assisting program to the Wyoming Campus.
- Human Resources Director, Patricia Clay, resigned in July 2013. Debbie Dingess is serving as Interim Director of Human Resources.
- Student Orientation sessions conducted college-wide resulted in a good turnout.
- David Lord, Director of Campus Operations at Wyoming will take the lead on development of a new institutional Master Facilities Plan in Fall 2013.
- An "Active Shooter" professional development session will be conducted for employees at the September 13 Governance Day and will be followed-up with a live drill at each campus.
- The Board's Retreat is scheduled for October 10-11 at the Embassy Suites in Charleston, WV.
- Sam Litteral provided the financial report dated June 30, 2013 to Board members. He reviewed restricted, unrestricted, and auxiliary revenues and expenditures with the group.
- Ron Lemon presented a Powerpoint Presentation highlighting the Development Office's fundraising efforts.
- Board Action: The Board approved the minutes for the June 18 and July 25 meetings of the Board; the Textbook Affordability Committee's annual report and its submission to Chancellor Skidmore; the following institutional policies following a 30-day public comment period, effective upon passage: (1) Rescinded SCP-2125, College-wide Employee Personnel Policy and (2) SCP-4192, Administrative Withdrawal and Administrative Drop of Students (This policy is on the Board’s web site and may be accessed by clicking here.)
The next Board of Governors meeting is scheduled for October 10, 2013 beginning at 6:00 p.m. at the Embassy Suites, 300 Court Street, Charleston, WV.