Academy for Mine Training and Energy Technologies
The Academy for Mine Training and Energy Technologies provides training for individuals who are interested in a career in the mining and/or energy technology industries. The Academy also delivers customized, on-site training for companies in the industry.
Like us on Facebook and Follow us on Instagram
About the Academy
The Academy for Mine Training and Energy Technologies offers the most up-to-date training available for the mining industry along with many other industries. The Academy provides a professional training facility and a hands-on atmosphere of learning that includes heavy equipment simulators and equipment labs. Students will obtain industry certifications, many of which are transferable to academic credit hours. The Academy can assist with job placement preparation and can provide training at all of Southern’s campuses. The Academy also provides customized, on-site training to companies that may need training delivered at their site.
Upcoming Academy Classes
Please call the Academy for Mine Training and Energy Technologies office at 304.896.7413 for more information or to register.
Visit our Facebook page for the most up to date schedule of classes
NOTES: Seating is limited. Pre-registration is required to secure your spot. Southern reserves the right to cancel classes due to low enrollment. Financial Aid applications are available for Higher Education Adult Part-Time Student (HEAPS) funding. If you are applying for financial assistance, the financial aid process must be finalized prior to the beginning of the class.
- WV 40 Hour Surface Apprenticeship Certification
- All WV surface miners must complete a 40-hour training course. This course is designed to help the new miner identify hazards in the workplace and understand the surface mining process.
- WV 80 Hour Underground Apprenticeship Certification
- All WV UG miners must complete an 80-hour training course. This course is designed to help the new miner identify hazards in the workplace and understand the surface mining process.
- KY 24 Hour Surface Apprenticeship Certification
- All KY surface miners must complete a 24-hour training course. This course is designed to help the new miner identify hazards in the workplace and understand the surface mining process.
- KY 40 Hour Surface Apprenticeship Certification
- All KY UG miners must complete a 40-hour training course. This course is designed to help the new miner identify hazards in the workplace and understand the surface mining process.
- 8 Hour Surface and Underground Re-certifications
- 40 Hour EMT-Mining
- 8 Hour EMT-Mining Recertification
- 8 Hour Electrical Hazards
- WV Electrician Apprenticeship Certification
- To qualify for the apprentice electrician card, an individual must be a certified coal miner. Also, the individual must attend an 8-hour class on the hazards of electricity. The coal miner must be 18-years old to qualify for the apprentice electrician card. Another important requirement is that the individual coal miner must enroll in an approved electrical training program.
- WV Mine Foreman Training
- This course is designed to help certified miners obtain their foreman certification.
- 40 Hour CAT 777 D Rock Truck Simulator
- 40 Hour CAT D-11 R Dozer Simulator
- 40 Hour CAT 992 G Loader Simulator
- Self-Contained Self-Rescuer Training
- 24 Hour New Miner Training
- OSHA 10 Hour Training
- Our OSHA Ten Hour Training is part of the OSHA Outreach Training Program. The OSHA Outreach Training Program is a program of training provided by OSHA authorized trainers. Its purpose is to promote workplace safety and health.
- Hazwoper Training
- Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response is a set of guidelines produced and maintained by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration which regulates hazardous waste operations and emergency services.
- AED/First Aid/CPR Training
- This training course is intended for individuals who have to respond to cardiac emergencies as a requirement of their jobs. This course teaches students the critical skills needed to respond to and manage cardiac emergencies, as well as first aid and choking
Catepillar Heavy Equipment Simulator Training
- CAT 777 D Rock Truck
- CAT 777 F Rock Truck
- CAT D 11 Dozer
- CAT 9926 Wheel Loader
A 3-D simulated training experience allowing the student to build skills such as:
- Hazard Avoidance
- Operator Productivity
- Fuel Efficiency
- Tire Preservation
- Site Safety Procedures
- Minimizing Unscheduled Maintenance
Financial Assistance (HEAPS)
The West Virginia Higher Education Adult Part-time Student (HEAPS) Grant is available to assist individuals with funding for Workforce and CareerTraining in the state of West Virginia. The grant program is available depending upon the type of training being sought as well as specific student eligibility criteria. For more information, call 304.896.7434 or e-mail Sandra Podunavac.
More information can be found at College Foundation of West Virginia.