Southern Offers New Pathways to Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees
Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College is partnering with Western Governors University to offer area students a new online path to getting their bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
Southern announced a new partnership with WGU allowing graduates to seamlessly transfer their coursework to the accredited, online university. Through this collaborative effort, WGU will provide students and its employees flexible, personalized learning pathways to WGU’s innovative online bachelor and master degree programs and credentials.
“By partnering with Southern West Virginia Community & Technical College, WGU is reinforcing its commitment to providing students in West Virginia with pathways to opportunities,” said WGU Central Region Vice President Alison Bell. “We are excited to see how this relationship flourishes and provide students across the state with the flexibility to pursue their degree as it fits into their schedules and budget.”
Southern West Virginia Community & Technical College and WGU foster a commitment to furthering the quality, accessibility, and affordability of higher education. The agreement will allow students from each of the community college campuses and locations the ability to advance their individual educational goals.
“This partnership will greatly benefit our graduates in achieving a seamless transfer to Wester Governor’s University,” says Dr. Pamela L. Alderman, President of Southern “This is an important agreement which focuses on student success. We are always pleased to build new bridges toward four-year degrees and beyond.”
Under the terms of this agreement:
- Graduates and staff of Southern are eligible to apply for the WGU Community College Partnership Scholarship, valued at $2,500 and dispersed to recipients in increments of $625 per semester for up to four terms based on satisfactory academic performance. The scholarship helps alleviate some of the financial burden individuals face when pursuing a degree.
- Prepare seamless associate degree to bachelor degree articulation agreements for all related degree programs in business, Information Technology, and health professions.
- Create a 3+1 transfer option for Southern West Virginia Community & Technical College nursing graduates who possess a West Virginia RN license.
- Nursing graduates from Southern West Virginia Community & Technical College who are eligible for the 3+1 program may also enroll in the MS, Nursing bridge programs, in nursing education or nursing leadership and management. The BS, Nursing degree is awarded to the 3+2 student as they progress toward the MS, Nursing degree.
- WGU will offer a reverse transfer program through the National Student Clearinghouse. The reverse transfer program will permit Southern West Virginia Community & Technical College students, who may transfer to WGU without an associate degree, to obtain an associate degree, while enrolled in a WGU bachelor’s degree.
- Graduates can apply for free using a unique code that will waive the $65 application fee.
More information is available to Southern West Virginia Community & Technical College students and faculty through the WGU landing page partners.wgu.edu.